Re: Protect your own

From: Gerrit Lammert (lammert@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 23:22:27 CEST

Hi Raven,

> The first thign i have agreed with that our president has said is that
this
> is an act of war. All our country has ever done to those people was to
try
> and keep them from killing each other. Maybe things would be best if
America
> withdrew into its own borders and quit propping up all those little
> countries who have very little importance in the grand scheme of
things.
> Maybe we should let them exterminate each other. The opinion of alot
of
> Americans were that those people ceased to be innocent when they took
to the
> streets to celebrate the attack on my country. Quite honestly, if
there is
> no one left to strike back after we have responded to these attacks,
there
> will be no more attacks on America.

These words quite shocked me. I just hope, that the majority in the US
is of another opinion.
America *was* the ideal society in many ways. Freedom, justice, same
chances for everyone, peace and so on.
But I'm afraid sometimes Amerika believes, its fighting for this rights,
and doesn't see, that this fight itself doesn't fullfill these noble
ideals.

> But all of it is a mute point because
> none of us can change anything. What will be, will be. Quite honestly
> America was becoming too soft, because the current generation of
people have
> never had to deal with war or a continuing threat to american
security.

Yes, same was said when the Vietnam war came. "We are not sure, if our
wapons work, as we coudn't test them for a long time and people get too
peaceful. Lets do something about it."
The big advantage of the americans and also the big problem is, that
many americans are too proud of there country, forgetting to reflect and
to try walking in other persons shoes.

> Me personally, I think tougher immigration laws
> would help alot, tougher international travel restrictions.

What will result is, that americans understand others even less and
others don't understand americans anymore. THIS would (and does) result
in terrorism!

> But instead, we
> are gonna get a CIA that can monitor all our internet transactions at
will,
> and it will not be an invasion of privacy under the new laws. Former
> president Bush made this clear that this was his aim this morning on
> television. But then our government has been looking for an excuse to
big
> brother us on the net for a long long time now, and they are just
using this
> tragedy as a means to their end.

I fear the same...

> Quite honestly I think Europe or Canada is
> gonna be the best place in the world to live soon.

Yes, but just because we are always 5 years after you. YOU will be the
first that will suffer from a collapsing society. I only hope. Europe
and Cannda and all the others will not run after.

> The fact is, nothing most
> of us say or do will ever matter, because in every country there are
hidden
> agendas and secret friendships that must eb preserved by those in
power,
> simply because it is in THEIR best interest to do so.

Yes, but these huge net of interests is the best garantie for peace. The
Problem I see is the lost of diversity. Its just like in biology, when a
new disease occurs, there should be always some that are different from
the others and that are not affected by that desease...
See the market. Its quite easy to destroy the world economy which would
have much harder effects on all of us than a real war. Apart from the
fact that such an event would probably cause a real war...

> Most likely what will
> happen is, three years form now America will still be diplomatically
asking
> for whomever is responsible to be returned to the U.S. to be
"punished" as
> our president says. Punished in America...I guess he'd get 3 to 5 and
be
> eligible for parole in 8 months, especially after his lawyer pleads
> temporary insanity for him....

Isn't it like this:
Bin Laden has 30-300 million dollar. We just have to find an accuser
that is even richer to win against him? :->

...gerrit