Re: Protect your own

From: Maxim Belooussov (m.belooussov@chello.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 19:05:28 CEST

Hello Joseph,

I'm Russian. Russia has been fighting Chechens for more then 6 years
now. They are terrorists - they kidnap people, plant bombs, burn
buses, blow up buildings. They use Muslim faith as an effective tool
to justify their actions.

Do Russians kill civilians who are Chechens so that their future
children do not kill us? No. Why? Because it will just cause more
bloodshed and destruction.

The correct way to fight terrorism is not to kill people or through
half of the population in prisons. You should give people work, food,
shelter, teach them, give them stability. When their new stability is
so good to be exchanged for horrors of war, they will stop to fight.
Why is Russia spending billions on rebuilding of Chechnya? To bring
peace into the region.

If USA wants to prevent further attacks, it should promote stability
in Middle East (Clinton did a good job there), teach people new things
(but please _not_ American "norms and values"), give investments to
bring up businesses and give jobs. I guess USA has been quite a bully
for Arabic world for quite a while and it's not the right way.

Our president Putin has been suggesting to NATO for almost 2 years to
create an anti-terrorist organization to fight weapon sales and
mercenary business. No country would listen... Look how everything has
changed.

In Moscow 2 years ago several appartment buildings got blown up at
night with people still sleeping. 500 dead. Russia has had its share
of terrorism. Very sad that USA, obviously, has had it too.

Main rule: you cannot fight terrorism with guns. You must fight it
with human desire for peace and normal life. But it takes time and
patience.

jc> Sven,
jc> If someone comes into your home and murders your mother,you don't consider
jc> his terrible childhood and his
jc> being mistreated by the Israeli's or any other whipping boy you
jc> philosophically choose. When you believe that a
jc> certain person is guilty, you kill him so that another
jc> person's mother will not die.
jc> This probably sounds strange to you because we come
jc> from different backgrounds but I believe this is the only way that the world
jc> will find any peace.

--
Best regards,
 Maxim