Re: Speed-up muLinux startup

From: Philippe Corbes (philippe.corbes@laposte.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 18:24:27 CEST

Dear Michele,

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 10:38:49AM +0200, Philippe Corbes nicely wrote:
> >
> > The script "/etc/rc/setup" execute "setup -a custom".
> > Setup script will open "/setup/model/custom" file and call setup
> > script for each
> > entry in this file. This method take a long time when only some
> > module need to be
> > configured. My idea to solve this problem is to run a script
> > automaticaly generated
> > once time for all. This script is updated by setup script when setup
> > is modified.
> > This script configure only modules who needs to be configured.
> >
> > For additional commands, e-mail: mulinux-help@sunsite.dk
>
> The bad design is "setup -a file-name", that recurses. It can be
> probabily sostitute with:
>
> for r in `cat /setup/model/custom`; do
> setup $r
> done

My first idea was similar to this. I created a file containing only
selected "addons" and another containing only selected "custom". It's
easier to code but it's slower. In fact, setup check each time if it's
necessary to select the module but it's alway necessary.

> A way to improve your compilation mechanism, is to modify "setup" in
> this way: when in configure the resurce "X" is create an empty file
> in the directory /setup/cnf/store/configured (for example).
> So, the reconfigurarion can be performed in fast way with:
>
> for r in `ls /setup/cnf/store/configured`; do
> setup $f
> done
>
> The directory /setup/cnf/store/ is saved belong the profile, so it is
> permanent.

I maybe not understand this point.
I tested with "setup -s" witout any problem! I store my scripts in
'/setup/cnf'. They are saved.

> Mah; maybe, some malfunction can be entered. In this way, the cloned
> system never scan resources in the "skipped" status, etc.

Yes, my idea is to suppress the scan at each startup.
Realy, I think it's not necessary at each startup.
It's easy to do "setup -n" if we want step back. I suggest after each
setup modification to make a "setup -o"
ONLY WHEN IT'S STABLE.

;-),
Philippe Corbes.