[oc] Re: mirror - Domain names

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:46:03AM +0100, Damjan Lampret wrote:

> [...]

www.cc.name.org (where cc is the country code) is the way I usually see
it done (Debian, kernel.org, PGP keyservers, IRC networks, ...).

> > Getting more sophisticated, would it be possible to have the
> > name 'www.opencores.org' automatically resolve to the nearest
> > server for each user?  In this case, the main server should still
> > have a fixed name (home.opencores.org?) so auto
> > redirection can be bypassed in case of problems.
>
> Don't how this is done. But I suspect it isn't so simple. Does anyone know?

The DNS server needs to respond with different addresses depending on
the requester's IP address.  Apart from software support, that requires
building a network mapping table that makes sense, which would be quite
some work I guess.

See question 5.23 of the BIND FAQ for some slightly hackish ways to do
it with standard BIND.  There are commercial (and maybe free) servers
which let you do it directly.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44