Re: [oc] mirror - Domain names

----- Original Message -----
From: <jdalton@bigfoot.com.au>
To: <cores@opencores.org>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 5:12 AM
Subject: Re: [oc] mirror - Domain names

> If setting up mirrors, I would suggest that subdomains be allocated
> within opencores (assuming opencores has its own domain name
> server).

It has.

> One option would be to use a country code as the sub name.  For
> example, as US server would be: us.opencores.org,
> an Indonesian server would be: id.opencores.org,
> and so on.  How to handle multiple servers in a country?
> Perhaps us1, us2, us3,... and so on?
>
> Of course there is no reason why subdomains should be
> geographically based.  Geographic names do have the
> advantage though of letting people chose a server
> closest to them.  Any suggestions for better naming schemes?

I don't have any. Unless we hear something much better, I'd say lets use it.

> Getting more sophisticated, would it be possible to have the
> name 'www.opencores.org' automatically resolve to the nearest
> server for each user?  In this case, the main server should still
> have a fixed name (home.opencores.org?) so auto
> redirection can be bypassed in case of problems.

Don't how this is done. But I suspect it isn't so simple. Does anyone know?

> Getting REALLY sophisticated, it would be fun to do away
> with a 'main' server and have a truly distributed environment,
> with every server equal.

I think we will have a lot of problems with synchronization (not all servers
will always see each other) and it would probablt take enormous amout of
effort to set it up. I already see problems with the 'ordinary' mirrors so I
think it is better not to have too sophisticated/smart system.

regards,
Damjan