ext2 installation on 486/4MB

From: Luca (lcb@freemail.it)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 19:25:36 CEST

Hi, I'm going to install muLinux on a 486 DX 33 laptop
with 4 MB of RAM (and 85 MB hd). I want to install the
system onto an ext2 partition, so cloning to UMSDOS on
another machine and copying the linux tree to the laptop
is not a solution in this case (AFAIK). What can I do
instead? And would it really be worth it (ext2 vs. UMSDOS)?

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to run X. Is there a
chance (and how large a swap would you recommend)?

Best regards,
Luca

PS: if I may ask, do you know of any other OS with a (even
basic) GUI, other than DOS + Windows 3.1, that I could run
on such a low memory machine?