Re: ext2 installation on 486/4MB

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:34:52 CEST

On 2 Apr 2001, at 19:25, Luca <mulinux@sunsite.dk> wrote:

> Hi, I'm going to install muLinux on a 486 DX 33 laptop
> with 4 MB of RAM (and 85 MB hd). I want to install the
> system onto an ext2 partition, so cloning to UMSDOS on
> another machine and copying the linux tree to the laptop
> is not a solution in this case (AFAIK). What can I do
> instead? And would it really be worth it (ext2 vs. UMSDOS)?

It can be done in stages... divide the 85mb HD into:

1) a DOS partition
2) a swap partition
3) an ext2 partition.

Copy a UMSDOS mu over to the dos partition (1). Configure this UMSDOS mu to
use the swap partition (2). Once that's working, clone it over to the ext2 (3)
partition. I've done this successfully with laptop; it's complicated but it
works.

After that you can delete the DOS partition and make it another ext2 drive.

It's uncertain whether ext2 vs. UMSDOS is worth it, though it seems like it
should be. Perhaps some careful person on the list has measured the
difference, or knows of a good Linux benchmark program that gives the file
system a workout?