Re: mu[OT]

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 21:05:37 CET

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 07:42:49PM -0800, Bob Romprey wrote:
> Over here on my side of the pond just the opposite is occuring.
> There's thousands of old boards being scrapped.
> You see in order to get a high speed connection (cable or DSL)
> The service providers have imposed minimum system requirements*grumble*(here P-166 32Megs and windows95/98)
> Anything less or other than and they will not do the install.....period
> Recently I had a cable setup installed at a location and when the time to do the install came, the installers (two chimpanzees in a truck) refused to install the cable modem because the customer "only" had a P-100............

Same minimum spec here for cable. I had to provide a sacrificial Windoze machine so that they would do the install, then swap the nic card to my 486 ('cause they register the nic mac addr) boot up mulinux using dhcp for IP resolution and of we went no problem. Don't see what all the fuss is about :-)

--
Dave muLinux UK mirror