Re: 386sx 4mb

From: Gene Smith (gds@chartertn.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 06:00:20 CET

Bob Romprey wrote:

> You might want to actually count the wires in the ribbon cable,
> I've used several notebook hard disks in the past, I'm thinking that they have 42? wires ( power wires included in the ribbon cable itself).
> Adapters can be purchased to adapt these to plug into a standard 40 wire ribbon cable with an external set of power wires using the standard 4 wire male/female plug.
> I think I paid about $5.00 US for the last adapter I bought of this type.
>
> winsor

Thanks to all for info and suggestions. Yes the ribbon cable has 44
wires and even has the filled in "key" pin like standard cables, just
denser. Someone provided a link to a site on the drive and seagate also
has a "legacy" page and manual on it. They just call it an AT cable. I
don't know if that is the same as what is now called IDE or ATA (I'm not
an expert on any of this). The cable also provides the power to the
drive since the drive does not have a separate "molex" style power
plug. Where did you get the adapter for this cable?

Creating the UMBDOS stuff on my desktop machine and doing a multi-volume
zip to the small machine sounds promising, but guess I am going to have
to find out what UMBDOS is :) -Gene