386sx 4mb

From: Gene Smith (gds@chartertn.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 06:10:59 CET

My target system is 386sx 4mb, 114meg hd, floppy drive, Quadtel
TACT83000 386sx BIOS v3.05.03

I used the lowmem (lm) model and created a ROOT+BOOT and USR floppy
using linux on another machine.

When I boot the ROOT+BOOT floppy on the 386sx, it gets to the
"Microsoft? is that ..." message, pauses a while then displays

/linuxrc: Cannot fork
Ram : bytes
Cpu : 386

At this point the boot process seems hung but I can scroll the console
up and down.

I also tried to build the ROOT floppy under DOS (actually NT) using
Method 3 and the the root file was too large when rawriten to a F1722
floppy. The file ROOT seemed to about 1,900,000 bytes! So I was unable
to create the floppys using this method. Are the dos and linux methods
supposed to produce similar floppies?

The ROOT+BOOT floppy I made on linux boots fine on my usual pentium
class linux computer.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

-Gene