Re: [mu SETUP] Modem and Mouse problems

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 19:54:03 CET

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 07:15:29PM +0100, Peter Dijkstra nicely wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When installing Mulinux everything goes smoothly, the only problem right I have is setting up the serial ports/modem/mouse.
> When I look under Win98 i see the following:
> COM1: 03F8 IRQ4 (logitech mouse)
> COM2: 02F8 IRQ3 (nothing attached)
> COM3: 03E8 IRQ9 (PCI internal modem)
>
> Everytime when I start setup and want to configure "ports" and using the probe function Mulinux finds the modem and the mouse both on ttyS0 or ttyS1.
> I have tried a couple of things, but the funniest part is that the modem is only found on the port where the mouse is attached. No mouse no modem.
> So, I think the modem is my problem.
> Is anyone familiar with this?

In order to probe the mouse when you are moving it, mulinux check any
IRQ request. Maybe, in Linux com1 and com3 shares the irq=4 interrupt,
while com2/com4 shares the interrupt irq=3, but I'm not sure on that.

Did you set

                PORT_LIST='ttyS0 ttyS1 ttyS2'
                BASE_LIST='- - -'
                IRQ_LIST='- - -'

when running setup -f port?

Anycase, the probing utility offers you to confirm or not the result;
if you know the right result, specify /dev/ttyS0 for the mouse and
/dev/ttyS2 for the modem.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen