Re: Digital signature in muLinux - tests wanted

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 21:00:33 CET

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 06:17:43PM +0100, Angoli Giovanni nicely wrote:

> The last thing i have to say is that i'm a newbie teacher of
> computer science in a local high school <italian> sono un supplente
> di informatica in un istituto tecnico per ragionieri, corso
> programmatori Mercurio </italian> and i will teach Linux at the
> fifth class using Mulinux :) because in the lab we only have
> Windows 95 machines and Mu is perfect thanks to his ability to be
> inobtrusive :))

This fact remember something happened recently the very first
time with a student of mine: because I do not know it the guy in
question had subscribed the muLinux mailing-list, I will explain
the story here, but using the IDEA one-way traditional algorithm,
i.e. no public-key is required, but only passphrase.

You can use PGP to decrypt, using the passphrase "mulinux".
Is is true: this is my first real usage of the IDEA cryptography.
(Ok, in this case this is not true "cryptography", but a sort
of "steganography", or "cryptography against the baby" :-) )

I would like to ask to Lars Nordstrom, own crypto-guy on the list,
if there is a simple way to generate a key for the address

                 mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk

so every subscriber can read/send PGP encrypted message. How
to handle a such mechanism? What kind of hand-shake is required
beetween us, the subscribers?

The IDEA rapresentation of the "student's story" follow.
I obtained it with the "pgp -ca" command, out of Mutt (maybe
another macro to add to?)

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia
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=ieRk
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--
"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen