[mu install/ tech] 2 surprises

From: Alfred Breull (puma@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 01:33:30 CET

I've installed mulinux 7r8 (no add-on) to the hd
[IBM Thinkpad 340 CSE, 12 MB/ 340 MB] with a line
in install.bat
'loadlin.exe mulinuz floppy=thinkpad initrd=ROOT ...'

Problem 1:

Having a DOS floppy in drive A I typed:

/# mount /dev/fd0 /a

which resulted in:
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 64
floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 66
/dev/fd0: I/O error
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
/#

Not exactly knowing what to do, I thought there might be a line
in the kernel I would recognize (i.e. to add 'floppy=thinkpad'.
So, having just learnt the cat command I typed:

/# cat linuxrc
which showed
15 or 20 lines from (beginning at 'mount startup partition' to
'cp /startup/boot/info /etc 2>/dev/null').

Further, I couldn't 'halt' the system correctly (segmentation fault) ...
and, after switching power off/on and rebooting, mulinux showed

mulinux login: root
ile rev.2.0.1

S A T O R
A R E P O
T E N E T
O P E R A
R O T A S

/#

'shutdowwn -r now' and 'halt' don't work anymore.

Do I need to re-install (which would be no problem) or is there,
actually, no problem ?

Should I install version 6r4 and say 'zimage floppy=thinkpad ...'
in the install.bat ?

Problem 2:
Reading thru last weeks mulinux messages I found 'my' installation
problem mentioned in Feb 99. Could someone, please, elaborate
the comment in a way that I (beginner) could add the soltuion to
my installation/ system ?

Message from (from Michele Andreoli) Feb 99 on
'kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 02:3c'

>>> Begin of message

In the hard-disk installation,
directory /dev, there is a file:

                /dev/root

The cloner create it as symlink to real disk device.
Obviously, if you zip the directory structure, and move it in the
destination machine, the disk-device do not match!

Solution 1
----------
first of zipping's art, corrupt provvisory your ext2 installation
removing this file (from muLinux itself) and create the new link:

                # cd /dev
                # rm root
                # ln -s hda2 root

In this example, I suppose /dev/hda2 to be the NEW device,
pertinent to destination machine.
When finish, reboot your windows and make the ZIP.
Ok, now this ext2 do not work anymore. Please, use a floppy-mulinux
to fix it.

Solution 2
-----------
Edit with notepad the file c:\linux\etc\fstab, without destroy it.
Check the row with /dev/root and change it as explained you.

<<< end of message

Does this mean to do a
# cd /dev
# rm root
# ln -s hda2 root

and to change the line in fstab with a text editor from
'/dev/had1 / umsdos defaults 1 1'
into
'/dev/had2 / umsdos defaults 1 1' ?

Any help is appreciated.