Re: [mu TECH]

From: winsor (winsor@wi.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 23:30:27 CET

why yes there is a way to compile mulinux binaries on another
distribution.
Just use the "STATIC" tag in the makefile.
I've used binaries "made" on other systems quite regularly with mulinux.
If you happen to like the idea of UMSDOS linux there's a distribution
named "monkey Linux" over at metalab.unc.edu that comes with the kernel
source and an "almost? complete" gcc and it seems to work well with
libc5.
A word of warning though, static binaries tend to be quite large, and
not intended for human consumption.8^P
And as with all GPL packages your mileage may vary......
Good luck

winsor

Daniel Hayato Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Michele Andreoli wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, Laurent: you can't. muLinux is a demonstration system;
> > you can't install on it packages downloaded around the Net in
> > easy way. That isn't a disk space problem, but binary compatibility.
>
> Which brings me to a question
>
> Is there anyway we can have an uncrippled compiler on a mulinux system?
> Because the small size is appealing but I want to be able to add a couple
> of other utilities onto my 486 bawx I have set aside to install mulinux on
>
> Failing that is there anyway we can compile the binaries on some other
> system and then install them across?
> >
> > Michele
>
> daniel - who reckons this is a FAQable Question

The more I use Linux, the harder Windows becomes to use. Point and click
software is too restrictive and difficult to do anything productive
with.