[usb] CYPRESS EZ-USB, not so EZ just confusing

Hello Everyone, thank you so much for taking a look at this. i just had
this project dumped on me and now I'm totally confused. we purshased
some Cypress EZ-USB chips and I'm very new at this stuff. what I need
to acomplish is to be able to plug in this chip into any USB on any
computer that has the proper program on it, that we have to write, and
it will recginize the chip and be ready to run the software. so where I'm
stumped is the very begining how does the PC know when it is pluged in
and how does the driver get installed. we also got a Development board
with the chip on it already and when i first pluged it in with out me doing
a thing it was installed. how do i get ours that stands alone to do that.
I guess MY BIGGEST PROBLEM RIGHT NOW is how do i communicate with
it? how do i wirte a basic program to tell it to read a port or something
simple like that? IF there is anyone out there that can help me out i
would greatly aperciate it. Thank you so much for listening to me
ramble. Have a great New Year!
Thanks again,
Justin