Re: [usb] CYPRESS EZ-USB, not so EZ just confusing

Hi Justin,

When a USB device is plug in, either D- (low speed), D+ (full speed) or both
(high speed) will be pulled high. This lets the host PC knows that a device
has been attached and what speed to communicate with it. During enumeration
the host will collect the device's information and check if the appropriate
driver has already been installed, otherwise host will search for the driver
and install it (e.g. Windows will look inside C:\WINDOWS\INF for an .inf
that matches). In the event that a suitable driver cannot be found then the
host will require the user to provide the driver.

I haven't personally used the EZ-USB, but I was looking at it for a project
previously. If I recall correctly, EZ-USB is defaulted as 'Firmware Update
Sub-Class' device. When you first plug in the EZ-USB it will report itself
as a 'Firmware Update Sub-Class' device, this should load the class driver
for the 'Firmware Update Sub-Class' and your firmware is downloaded to the
EZ-USB. After downloading it will re-enumaerate and this time round your
firmware is to report the device infomation of your own so that your own
driver can be loaded.

Cheers,
kwanie