Re: [openppc] Chipset for OpenPPC?

----- Original Message -----
From: <test1@yahoo.com>
To: <openppc@opencores.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 6:36 AM
Subject: [openppc] Chipset for OpenPPC?

> Hello
> I am glad this mailing list is open again. I had received spam e-mail
because of the old mailing list.

> My idea: OpenPPC is halted because the chipset design and production had
failed. Perhaps OpenCores.Org can design a new REALLY working low cost

The problem is that design of such a chipset isn't really that simple as it
sounds. I'm afraid that right now we can't develop a chip that would require
a team closly working together on all issues. Right now an SoC project is
much more suitable since everybody can do their own piece of IP and we have
to find the effort only to integrate all IPs together.

> chipset as soon as possible. For economical mass production, perhaps
OpenCores can use TSMC, INTEL or other efficient contract production
facility.

For SoC that we want to build we already have some interest from companies
and they will sponsor SoC chip. But for a PPC chipset we would have to find
a company that would sponsor MPW (multiproject wafer) test run.

regards,
Damjan