Re: [ethmac] specification for eth MAC

At 02:56 PM 4/11/00 +0700, you wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Kent Dahlgren wrote:
>
> > In any case I don't really care much which one is chosen, let's just pick
> > one and
> > get on with it. There are several commercially available devices which
> have
> > well
> > documented interfaces.
> >
> > Does anyone else have any preferences?
> >
> > Kent
> >

>My preferences for Eth MAC 10/100 Mbps :
>- symmetrical format receive and transmit descriptors
>- separates FIFO for transmit and receive (what is its size for optimal
>   performance ?)
>- supports full duplex and half duplex for both 10 and 100 Mbps operations
>- supports auto-negotiation

The question that I was asking was does anyone have any preferences about
which commercially available NIC to use as the basis for the specification. The
goal here is not to have to write drivers.

>My questions :
>- actually, do we need multicast addrees filtering

That's a subjective thing. How much performance are you willing to give up to
do multicast filtering in software. My response would be that it's not hard and
it eliminates the issue.

Kent

Praesum Communications                  Phone: (510) 337-0495
Suite 1                                 Fax:   (510) 337-0418
1134E Ballena Blvd                      email: kent@praesum.com
Alameda, Ca. 94501                      web:   www.praesum.com