Re: [ethmac] first topics

At 07:18 PM 4/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
> > What are you referring to when you say "EthMAC"?
> >

>To the interface of Ethernet MAC in CPM.
>
> > I don't think that anything based on QUICC derivatives is
> > workable. If I remember correctly, the Mot QUICC drivers
> > are based on a lot of functionality being implemented in the
> > communications processor, and the source that microcode is
> > not available.
>
>Microcode is not available. But I am not talking about microcode. I mean
>linux driver that talks to the EthernetMAC part of CPM of MPC8xx.

My understanding is that the driver talks to the processor in the CPM through
the dual port memory, and the communications processor manages the actual
hardware. Perhaps I am confusing this with they way that they handle ATM.

>But since
>DEC 21140 tulip is probably more common and driver is probably more tested
>it might be better to go with tulip interface. Anyway MPC8xx and its
>Ethernet MAC interface in CPM have good documentation.

In any case I don't really care much which one is chosen, let's just pick
one and
get on with it. There are several commercially available devices which have
well ]
documented interfaces.

Does anyone else have any preferences?

Kent

Praesum Communications                  Phone: (510) 337-0495
Suite 1                                 Fax:   (510) 337-0418
1134E Ballena Blvd                      email: kent@praesum.com
Alameda, Ca. 94501                      web:   www.praesum.com