Re: [oc] Driving a RS232 serial port semi-direct from the FPGA?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:23:05PM -0000, Paul McFeeters wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> Perhaps you missed the message of the email? I guess it did pad it with
> too much information for some people out there but the main question was
> had anybody done a simple serial port core rather than a complete all
> singing and dancing UART style one?
>
> The electronic bits were not put there to scare you off just for people
> who might have done it before to advise before I blow a cap or two.
>
> Sorry again for scaring you.
> Paul

"Scare" me?  It's not possible for you to "scare" me.  What you're doing
is annoying me by contaminating this list with a shitload of questions
that, however valid, honest, sincere, well-intentioned, etc., DO NOT have
anything to do with programmable logic, and specifically "cores", which is
what (specifically) "opencores" is about.

If you want to learn about RS-232, go research it SOMEWHERE ELSE.  Read
the EIA RS-232 specification.  Do a google search - I'm sure you'll find
many extensive treatise on the subject in lots of places - but not here.
Go get the transceiver data sheets.  Go get data sheets for UARTS from the
companies that make UARTS.  Blow all the caps you want.

But PLEASE limit your question in this forum to the subjects covered by
its mandate.

jl