[oc] Re: EEPROM Programmers using FPGAs? now its EPROM vsFLASH time

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 03:27:19PM -0000, Paul McFeeters wrote:
> chen,
>
> ta, will make note of this. No running program and data space in FLASH then I guess.

You couldn't put writable data space in Flash anyway since it can not be
written like SRAM.  It needs special commands to write, writing involves
some delays to be obeyed, and you can't overwrite bytes.

Writing to Flash involves erasing all or blocks (some kb) of the chip,
then writing the new content.

The erase/write cycle maximum is only interesting when you are using
flash as a file system (solid state harddisks with IDE/SCSI or directly
connected with special flash filesystems).  You wouldn't want to put
/tmp or swap on those.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44