[oc] Re: ATA design

Hi Dani,

Depends on what your goals are, if you just want to connect a harddisk using
PIO transfers (no UltraDMA or Multi-wordDMA transfers) than a Xilinx will do
fine. In fact all you need are some simple buffers. There are quite some
examples in the net howto do this. There is one but, it's not compliant with
the ATA specs., but it works fine, I did it for a project.

Currently I am working on a full ATA-3 (and eventually a ATA-5) compliant
core. I almost finished the PIO interface. This is the most important
interface since all commands towards the ATA device are tranmitted using PIO
transfers. I can send you what I have sofar if you want to.

Richard