Re: IP in the Windows registry

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 22:00:45 CET

22/11/2002 21:47:24, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:43:08PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>>
>> >So, why to create /etc/passwd in a cygwin system?
>>
>> because some cygwin'd unix programs need /etc/passwd whether it its read or not
>> As I said in an earlier post , previous versions( really old) only implemented the 9x password and not
>> NT. Thats 'progress' I suppose.
>
>sshd doesn't, I think. Must I seach some older sshd version?

Sorry Michele, I was refering to previous versions of the whole cygwin environment not just ssh.
In the really old original versions only the win9x api was implemented so file security wasn't a problem.
Now it looks as though the cygwin dlls have almost entirely switched to the NT based api.

Dictionary definition:-

Windows 9x: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system
originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
(Cygwin FAQ)

Dave