Re: IP in the Windows registry

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 21:43:08 CET

22/11/2002 21:11:51, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 07:07:39PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>> 22/11/2002 20:58:18, "Jeroen Nieuwenbroek" <puch@zeelandnet.nl> wrote:
>>
>> >shame on you two ;-)
>>
>> My God Michele,
>>
>> There IS someone else out there :-))
>>

>They are 258, but never speak :-)
>
>Anyway, about passwd.exe:
>I noticed that. This isn't a simple unix program that write in /etc/passwd.
>They ask Windows in order to change *really* the password for the windows user.

looking at source it uses the NT model password only

>So, why to create /etc/passwd in a cygwin system?

because some cygwin'd unix programs need /etc/passwd whether it its read or not
As I said in an earlier post , previous versions( really old) only implemented the 9x password and not
NT. Thats 'progress' I suppose.

>I added Perl in order to use the crypt() function that comes with perl, since
>gcc didn't work.
>But changing /etc/passwd do not affect authentication.
>
>So, it is better if we abandon the idea to have a win98/me working.

As I said, if it works for your original purposes then why continue, except for the fun/challenge.

>Nevertless, my frind has win/me and RS worked. Why?

I have no idea :-(((

>Did you test also with ME?

Yes frequently, with similar results to win 9x.
I've just uninstalled rs and removed all traces of my development cygwin. I cleaned all traces of rs and
cygwin from the registry. Downloaded a fresh copy of rs from sunsite into a new folder. Emptied the
contents of windows/temp. At this point there should be no sign of having previously installed either cygwin
or rs.
Installed rs, edited config.txt and ran configure. Can't find ip because registry entries are different for ME
and Xp. That's not a problem.
Ran sshd.bat
ran login.bat
ps ax shows sshd running
trying ssh to localhost
get usual warning about host keys for previously un connected host
enter passwd : repeated three times untill sshd throws me out
Failure: Access Denied ..................:

Tried using putty (windows ssh client) and linux ssh both from local machine and other machine on lan.
Same result: Access Denied

Dave..........getting splinters from too much head scratching