Re: IP in the Windows registry

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 19:19:28 CET

22/11/2002 18:41:38, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:24:14PM -0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>>

>> I've still got the passwd dll problem and thus no sshd login but I think I've solved that if I can get the
>> netapi32.dll source. It would appear that the NetApiBufferFree function was not compiled into the dll.
This
>> won't matter for XP as it obviously works for you, but is required for 9x/me.
>>

>There is a way, or not, scanning the windows registry, to understand if
>a machine is int the 2000/XP of 98/Me branch?

HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
gives you more info than you need including Version and VersionNumber
can't seem to find it under win200 but i'm sure it's there somewhere

To chech if c:\windows of c:\winnt exists is enough, in your opinion?

The problem as I see it ,( but am still checking) is that the cygwin netapi32.dll was not compiled with the
NetApiBufferFree function. The problem comes down to the two differing security models used by 9x/me
and nt/2000/xp. the latter use unix style user/group permissions for file access with /etc/passwd under
cygwin providing this info. With win9x/me there is no such security model.. all files(with the exception of the
likes of mydocs,links etc that are applicable to each individual user) are owned by nobody and are available
to all. Cygwin thus emulates (or should emulate) the user/group and passwd functions. The missing
netapibuffer function in the dll is called from within passwd.exe if user/group emulation is in use i.e with
win98/me. So passwd.exe figures out that there is no real passwd security and tries to use the security
emulation but fails due to the missing function in the dll.

I think I've got that right!!!!!!!

By the way what version of cygwin is rs based on as ver 1.10 (from memory) sshd passwd security
emulation was severely broke and was reported as such on the cycwin list.

Dave