Re: Windows XP question (newbie)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 16:51:20 CEST

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 03:55:05PM +0200, Peter Andersen nicely wrote:

>There are no information in registry. Only
>the key.

perfect. If you see a file, in muLinux, like /setup/cnf/gpm.cnf
you see that:

ACTION=ask_the_user
RESOURCE="a running gpm mouse server"
VAR_LIST="GPM_PROTOCOL GPM_RESPONSIVENESS GPM_OPTIONS"
HIDDEN_LIST=""
MOD_LIST=""
GPM_PROTOCOL='ps2'
GPM_RESPONSIVENESS='10'
GPM_OPTIONS=''

What that is, if not a set of keys?
muLinux has its own registry since version 0.4.
The Setup script is the utility able to shows and modify these values.
Functions in muLinux are in /setup/fun.

There is an infamous function in muLinux called "configure()", that
uses to transfer the keys in /etc.
So, interference is possible in mu also, and some users experienced
that in the past.

Example: /etc/hosts is under the control of setup/network.
If you change /etc/hosts *by hand*, you must commit your changes
with "setup network store", or the next time Setup will recreate
the /etc/hosts using its own info!

(the same accours with "Mandrake Control Center", yes.)

> One thing i love in /etc is all the information the programmer has put
> in to the configuration's file.
> Normal you don't need any Ressource Book from som company to change the
> setup.
>
> In M$ you have to bye a book, read it and then change the configuration.
> in Unix open the configuration's file read and change the configuration.

Oh, but this can be fixed!
You can add an INFO key to any recource, pointing to manual pages
and other documents.

> P.S.
> You don't have to change you idea, it is a free world :)

I'v a weak character: I wish to change idea, if my idea is stupid

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)