Re: Windows XP question (newbie)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 17:14:12 CEST

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:31:29PM +0200, Dumas Patrice nicely wrote:

> There is such a project, I don't know if it is used a lot, however, see
> http://tucs.sourceforge.net/documentation/
> http://tucs.sourceforge.net/

From TUCS home page:

[...]
It's a shame
that the power, stability, and security of Linux/Unix is combined with a
loosely governed, incredibly diverse, "every program for itself"
configuration system.
[...]

How to not agree?

But nobody care it, we never will have a better
system on Linux, since only the kernel, KDE, GNOME and other few projects
have a kind of standardized development policy.

And we know why: to have an API is the minor problem. To have the same
set of keys, is the true problem!
(think about minor/major number assignment in /dev)

If we even accept TUCS as configuration API, how to agree on the names
of a key? IP? IPADDR? IP_ADDR? IP_ADDRESS?

So, not only we need of a registry API, but we need of a central
authority (oh, Bill Gates ...)

<joke target=KHZ>

Otherwise, will can adopt the mechanism called "Web of Trust", used in
order to sign and introduce digital key signatures.
We meet periodically in some place and exchange beetwen us the
proposed names for the keys :-)

</joke>

"Physics is like sex: it may give some practical
results, but that's not why we do it"  (Richard Feynman)