Re: [Req #1045] Virus on the muLinux mailing list

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@kde.org)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 12:20:45 CEST

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 10:44, Lars Chr. Hausmann wrote:

> Michele> Hello,
>
> Hello,
>
> Michele> I'm the mantainer of the muLinux project, hosted at
> Michele> Sunsite.Auc.Dk. The mailinglist is under heavy attack from
> Michele> spammer and viral terrorists. Emails with WIN32 virus
> Michele> receive further autoreply from the client' virus-scanners,
> Michele> so we will get continously trash.
>
> Yes - we've seen other similar problems.
>
> Michele> It is possible simply to refuse emails with attachments in this
> Michele> mailing list? Pure text format would be the best.
>
> That is tricky. However we can enforce that the posts _has_ to to be
> in text/plain format. This might lead to others getting
> bitten. This will make sure that only mail with content-type:
> text/plain will get through to the list ?

Hi Lars,

what about the following: Allow all messages which are either having
top level Content-Type=text/plain or Content-Type=multipart/alternative
while containing a text/plain part in their multipart section?

By doing so we could receive all mails that are either just plain text
_or_ are a combination of plain and html text - and there are _lots_
of mails of the 2nd type.

Would that be possible?

Cheers,

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>