mu SETUP - How can I set the correct VGA640x480 fo X ?

From: Piero Morelli (piero.morelli@mail.ing.unibo.it)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 15:43:27 CET

Hello everybody,

I am sorry to bother you all with so a silly question, but the fact is that I am a
newbie, just landed onto muLinux from your well loved DOS and Windows OS :-))

I'm starting to love Linux, but still I have some problems with X. It seems to me
that something is wrong with the display or the vga driver. In fact X does not
start. A logged error message is sayin something wrong with the display

I have a "Ascentia 800N AST notebook"
486 DX 50 Mhz
20 Mb Ram
250 Mb HDD
No CD-Rom
pcmcia modem
ps/2 mouse
video ram 2Mb
LCD display 8'

Requested resolution: standard VGA640x480 16 or 256 colors

If some one can help me with some hints it would be much appreciated. I have tried
with the setup utility and probe, without improvements, due to my ignorance on the
correct procedure.

I thank you for your kind attention and I send you my best greetings from Italy.

Yours sincerely
Piero

--
Dr. Eng. Piero Morelli