Re: mu SETUP : UMSDOS installation on a NT machine, without floppy

From: Guillaume Cornet (CornetGJ@Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 01:52:05 CEST

Hello Maxim,

Thanks for your advice and your humour.

I had already done the unpack.bat, but Michele has just made me
noticed that there is no way to install in UMSDOS on a NT machine.

The CD is a good idea, but I can't boot any CD, on any computer. And
the BIOS is locked, ... Moreover, having all the compilers will not
help me, since I don't have any disk space (except in read-only
access).

Now I am trying to access my home directory, which is on a Novell
Netware server. So I need ipx.o, then ncpfs.o, then the utilities
which come with ncpfs (ncpmount, ncpumount, ...).

I've tried to insmod ipx.o, found on the muLinux site, but there are
unresolved symbols.

I've found ncpfs.o (for a 2.0.36) on the trinux site (another mini
distrution), and I can load it. So that is OK.

For the ncpfs utilities, I can manage, I suppose.

Since that ipx module was compiled for the right kernel, and there
are no dependencies for that, why can't I load it ?

Guillaume

On 13 Oct 2001, at 0:00, Maxim Belooussov wrote:

> Hello Guillaume,
>
> 1. There must be a programme called "unpack.bat" or something similar.
> Try to run it BEFORE you run "boot.bat". That's the most common
> mistake when trying to install mulinux (and Yes, I've done it too).
>
> 2. Why don't you get like a CD from Michele with all the fancy
> compilers, KDE+, full GCC, whatever? You'll plug the cd in, and voala
> - ready to be configured (at any machine) and used. You'll be able to
> compile your own kernel and even new image, if you need one ;)
> You would have to boot from CD, of course... But it will mount into
> RAM.
>
> 3. NT at university? Wow... Your university is either too rich or not
> doing serious science :)) (just kidding)
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Maxim

Guillaume Cornet