Re: Termcap and lilo

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 00:41:04 CEST

Hi,

> First, a run mu (v12r0) on an 486 with black&white screen and I want
> to use mc. But when i try, the whole screen turns white, and i can
> only see the text under the cursor. So I tried to change the TERM to
> "linux-m", and then I can read everything allright, but the
> function-keys and the arrow-keys stopped working.
>
> Is there any termcap-entry just like "linux", but without color?
> (The screen can handle graphics, and I can run x-windows without any
> trouble.)

Well, I think you were right on target with your first try.
linux-m is indeed just a linux terminal without color, as the terminfo
entry says:
  linux-m|Linux console no color
On my system (Debian 2.2), it works flawlessly:
export TERM=linux-m
mc
  ... and mc starts up in b&w, with working function keys.

Maybe your terminfo database has the wrong entry for linux-m?
You can probably copy the data file for linux-m to mulinux. Under
Debian that datafile is in /usr/share/terminfo/l/linux-m , copy it over
the corresponding file under muLinux and it should work (no guarantee,
though).

> Is there any termcap-entry just like "linux", but without color?
mc (like most modern programs) uses the (n)curses library, and that in
turn uses the terminfo system. termcap is an old system rarely used
nowadays. Just for your info... (or does the mulinux ncurses use
termcap?).

> Second, I have installed mu to an ext2-partition and boot it with
> lilo. But I also have windows on the same computer, and want to
> access it from time to time. I tried to copy the lilo.conf mu used to
> write lilo to my harddrive and added the lines:
>
> image=/dev/hda1
> label=win
> root=/dev/hda1
>
> wich didn't do the trick, what have I missed here?

Well, you failed to RTFM ;-).
>From lilo.conf(5) :
       A per-image section starts with either a line

           image=pathname

       (to indicate a file or device containing the boot image of
       a _Linux_ kernel), or a line

           other=pathname

       to indicate an _arbitrary system_ to boot.
(Emphasis mine). So 'image' is *only* for booting a linux kernel
directly, if you just want to boot the bootsector of an OS (such as
windows), use 'other'. BTW, 'other' can also boot a bootsector
containing lilo, which might then boot linux, but that's another story.
(That is quite useful for trying out distros. Install the distro into
its own primary partition, let it write its own bootloader into that
partiton, and start it from your primary lilo with an 'other' entry.)

What you probably need is an entry like that:
   other=/dev/hda1
        Label=win
plus if you want it to install into your MBR (best choice), put
boot=/dev/hda
at the beginning of lilo.conf . If you later want to delete muLinux
from the disk, boot from a DOS floppy and do
fdisk /MBR
to reinstall the original DOS MBR.

BTW, to Michele:
> May this will work:
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=win
> table=/dev/hda
That should work, but don't forget the
boot=/dev/hda
at the beginning to put lilo into the MBR.

Greetings,

Sebastian