Re: Termcap and lilo

From: Enno Welbers (Neo.the.Matrix@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 21:18:24 CEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Vesa-Pekka Palmu <vessu@dlc.fi>
To: <mulinux@sunsite.dk>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: Termcap and lilo

> > Second, I have installed mu to an ext2-partition and boot it with lilo.
But I also have windows on the same computer, and want to access it from
time to time. I tried to copy the lilo.conf mu used to write lilo to my
harddrive and added the lines:

> > image=/dev/hda1
> > label=win
> > root=/dev/hda1
> >
> > wich didn't do the trick, what have I missed here?
>
> If I remember corectly mu installs lilo to hda1 (boot sector of first
> partition of first hd) by default so that win entry would only reload
> the lilo... So you should install lilo to /dev/hda but you would now
> need to make a new boot record for the windows (You can do this
> by booting with a windows rescue floppy and typing "sys c:" and
> "fidsk /MBR" thoise commands will probably kill the lilo, so it is a
> good idea to have loadlin or boot floppy for mu before doing this.
in order to reinstall the windows boot record, only fdisk /mbr is
neccessary, the sys c: command is only needed if you lost command.com and
msdos.sys

enno Welbers