HP Ethertwist

From: Maarten van Vuure (maarten@octaaf3.myweb.nl)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:44:17 CEST

L.S.

I picked up an old 386 from the street, people leave them with the garbidge while they are still working. I like to have a look inside and I'm a bit curious also. Often they even didn't format the hard disk! :-)
In one of them I found an ethernet card, a Hewlett Packard
27245A EtherTwist PCLink (Listed Accassory 34j0).
Strange card, it has a connector for a Rj45 as wel as one for a Rj11 cable. At the conn. for the Rj11 it says 'Phone'.
The card seems to be split up in two parts with a diagonal line in between. There is an AT & T chip,M-1820-6858 / 36389SS 74,
on the part of the Rj11 conn. Also a set of belfuses, both 'hipotted' (don't know what it means) belfuse 8949 / S555-2940-00 and bel / 9007-S553-1006-AE.
Is there anyone on the list who knows if it can be used as a kind of modem also?? As lancard it is working properly. (Under Win95) And Win95 has drivers on board for this card. But I couldn't find any information about the 'Phone' capability.
Is the card 'Ne2000' compatible? I placed it in a machine I'm planning to install MuLinux also.
Sorry for the long mail and thanks a lot for any info.
Maarten