Re: installing x11

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 14:37:06 CET

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:25:48AM +0000, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:

> > ./mu -i: /tmp/mulinux/fdformat: file or folder not found
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > copy x11 ....
> > - after this nothing happens any more
> > Does someone know an answer for this problem?
>
> Jep. That means I don't know WHY but I know how to solve...
>
> I can only think of not finding some libraries (maybe libc5??)...
>
> But how to solve.
>
> Most linux systems (debian, suse, mandrake...) have it's own fdformat
> so just delete fdformat and make a softlink eg.
> ln -s /usr/bin/fdformat fdformat
> And that'll do it.

This is the theory: it the system (debian, suse, mandrake...) has an
own fdformat package installed, MU will use; otherwise, it try to
use its fdformat.
Unfortunately, I cannot know it the user installed or no this package.

> PS: Do that for bzip2 also. May not be working if you want to extract
> the mulinux files with " ./mu -u "

True: "mu -u" requires bzip2.
At the mulinux birthday time, the best part of distros are libc5, so
never got problems usign "bzip2" and "fdformat". Today, instead,
"fdformat" is deprecated, in favor of "superformat" (why?!)

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen