Re: PLIP on 11r6

From: Dave Houghton (mulinux@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 21:55:39 CET

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:44:12PM -0800, Bob Romprey wrote:
> Michele,
> I don't know if this is of any help, but when installing a modem under windoze the option to use LPT1 as the "port" for the modem is there.
> Think I'll look at that because a LP port will send/receive data at much better rates than a serial port(8 data lines???)

You can specify either lpt or com ports as VIRTUAL modems for direct cable connection, but and its a big but, the transmission protocol of M$ dcc is unique to Windoze and doesn't use either slip or plip. Win to Win o.k. Win to Linux ... forget it. You can specify slip but only over a dial-up connection.

My humble little company manufacture distributed stage lighting hardware/interfaces and we thought of using dcc and a Vbasic prog as an alternative to our dedicated lighting desks but rapidly hit the proverbial brick wall. We now use QNX for PC control of the main distr point.

--
Dave muLinux UK mirror