Re: rlogin to mulinux problem

From: Paul Newman (pnewman@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 21:28:18 CET

on the subject of telnet/rlogin problems...

> > this is what i get with telnet:
> >
> > $ telnet me
> > <the 'splash' lines>
> > <the warning about junk characters>
> > Welcome to ...
> > Illegal option -u
> > $
> >
> > and rlogin:
> >
> > $ rlogin me
> > Illegal option -p
> > connection closed
> > $

just a quick note, I solved the problem. the in.rlogind and in.telnetd
either invoke /bin/login, and because of my nonstandard setup, the
non-rustic login was not being found. So the rustic login was being
used, and that's where the Illegal option message was comming from.

serves me right for trying to outsmart the organization of your files.

for the record, I used good old "strings" on my development box to
look in in.telnetd and find other file names it was interested in.

thanks for your help and good work.