Re: mu TECH: some bug/typos in v11.4

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 12:56:42 CET

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 05:30:24AM -0500, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:
> Well well, back from a hiatus, and I'm testing mu v11.4. Here are
> what appear to be some bugs or typos found therein...
>
> 1) An extra file in DOSTOOLS.ZIP: In the C:\mu\sources dir, the two
> files pscan.c and portscan.c are exactly the same.

Fixed.

> 2) I use a Mouse Systems brand mouse. Running 'setup -f port' calls a
> new '/setup/fun/port.fun', (it's different from the 'port.fun' in
> v9.3), and the code sets my mouse to either the 'ps2' or 'microsoft'
> protocol. This makes the 'setup -f port' command crash somewhere in
> the middle. It says:

> Initialization of psaux failed
> Setting up serial ports IRQ ...
> Cannot autoconfigure port: Device or resource busy
>
> Despite this, 'GPM' is happy. However 'X' is now crazy -- my mouse
> pointer stays at the top of the X screen, and after a bit of moving
> the mouse, (left to right only), the whole mu system does a sudden
> reboot.

Aia! I recently fixed MouseProtocol to be either "PS/2" either "Microsoft".
A different protocol is required for you?

> 3) The internet 'wizard' prompts the user with confusing language. For
> example, one option says 'Smtp-Server', when 'OK' is selected, an
> entry box pops up, which says 'smarthost'. I thought maybe I hit the
> wrong key, since it wasn't obvious that 'Smtp-Server' is the same
> thing as a 'smarthost'.

SMARTHOST is the internal variable, corrisponding to SMTP server.
I used the word smtp-server because widely know.

> Another one says 'POP Server', when selected, the input screen says
> 'Host', which is also confusing.

HOST is the (old) setup-internal name for the pop3 host. Ok, I will try
to change.

> 4) On the same 'wizard' screen there's a 'Full Name' option, which
> hangs the 'wizard' with a segmentation fault. The rest of that menu's
> data I typed in was lost. When I started again later, I didn't select
> 'Full Name' (Bettino Craxi is my name?) and it did not hang.
>
> 5) The 'wizard' options (or buttons) are confusing. The options are
> 'OK' and 'Cancel'. 'Cancel' should only mean "Leave this menu, forget
> the data I typed in, don't use it." 'OK' should only mean "Leave this
> menu, remember the data I typed in, use it."

Unfortunately, 'dialog' use only two button, and it is not configurable.

> Instead, it's 'Cancel' that saves the menu data, and 'OK' is used to
> pick entries to modify. That is 'Cancel' does what 'OK' should do.

Yes. I'm over-clocking 'dialog'. How to solve?

> How to fix this is tricky. There could be a third option, named
> something like 'select', 'change', 'enter', or 'modify', which could
> do what 'OK' does now. 'OK' should do what 'Cancel' does now. And
> 'Cancel' should allow one to back out without changing anything.

Impossible. I can only add some words on the variuos panels, explaining
how to use them.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen