Re: start x as nonroot ??

From: Sven (SvenConrad@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 15:23:07 CET

At 12:49 PM 1/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:56:33AM +0100, Michael Gruner wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > on my mulinux notebook i added an user. but starting x
> > as nonroot seems not to be supported ??
> >
> > thx for your replys
> >

>Unfortunately, either "xf86config", either "startx" uses a lot of
>privileged files/resources. Usually, in big distributions, the workaround
>is to use Xdm or Xwrapper to start X.
>
>Sorry: in muLinux, to start XWindow requires the maximum power factor,
>plus some extra help from the *afterlife*, if you are a believer
>and if there is one :-)
>
>Strictly speaking, XWindows is a network server, like ftpd or httpd,
>not a simple arena for your mouse; so normal users are not permitted
>to start a monster such X, if 'root' nicely disagrees.

There is a way to start X as user. I did this before, but can not remember
all my steps.
The first is to set the suid bit for the X-Server. Then, everybody can start X
and X fells well with root rights. But there are allso some pty/tty device
rights
witch must be changed. Sorry but, I forgot which.
But it is possible!
The advantage is, that all programms started under X have only the user rights.
This is very imporant while surfing in the internet.

/sven