Re: start x as nonroot ??

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 13:49:19 CET

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:56:33AM +0100, Michael Gruner wrote:
> hi,
>
> on my mulinux notebook i added an user. but starting x
> as nonroot seems not to be supported ??
>
> thx for your replys

Unfortunately, either "xf86config", either "startx" uses a lot of
privileged files/resources. Usually, in big distributions, the workaround
is to use Xdm or Xwrapper to start X.

Sorry: in muLinux, to start XWindow requires the maximum power factor,
plus some extra help from the *afterlife*, if you are a believer
and if there is one :-)

Strictly speaking, XWindows is a network server, like ftpd or httpd,
not a simple arena for your mouse; so normal users are not permitted
to start a monster such X, if 'root' nicely disagrees.

Sent using mulinux, with mutt, smail and other GPL'ed software