Re: Connect with CHAP -

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 20:53:13 CET

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:01:09PM -0500, BOB GOODWIN nicely wrote:
> Ok, I deleted the 102 meg DOS partition and set it up
> as ext2 /dev/hdb1. That gives me an extra partition
> that I can use either with muLinux or Red Hat 5.2 on
> this box.

102???

I worked hard in debugging the faq, only to find finally the your

                        "[102]"

I do not know why, but my sgml render refuse any sort of
bracket different form ()

> But I notice that no one touched on my first question
> -
>
> I can't connect to my ISP [AT&T]. I found
> /usr/bin/ppp and it appears that I never get through
> the entire process. I enter ppp-on and it goes
> through the to the point where it says "Please Wait"
> and dies there?
>
> PS shows several lines " /bin/setup/ isp status "

This is the rustic loop in ppp-on. Is is not the problem:
shell scripts works in this way.

In your opinion, how can someone solve your problem with a
such poor diagnosis? Jesus, or Buddha maybe

> I see on the screen " ./bin/ps: cannot open
> /proc/18368//stat: no such file " repeated several
> times.

I solved this problem in the next rustic "ps": the rustic ps
try to list all directory in the form /proc/[0-9]*/ but, often,
they disappear while "ps" is working!
[faq'ed]

> The modem loudspeaker sounds like it is trying to
> connect but obviously CHAP is not satisfied?

To connect is only matter to know exactly what your
provider requires you. Please, PLEASE, looks in the file
/var/log/ppp.log

> WHERE IN MULINUX DOES THE PPP-ON STUFF GO?
>
> This is the file I'm talking about -
>
> #/usr/sbin/ppp-on
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd name "987654321@worldnet.att.net" -d
> connect \
> '/usr/sbin/chat -t 45 -v ABORT BUSY "" ATDT3424101
> CONNECT ""' \
> /dev/modem 115200 noipdefault debug modem
> defaultroute crtscts
>
> Copied from my /etc/ppp/ppp-on file that I have
> been using with RH-5.2 and 7.0. This is critical
> with AT&T Worldnet, get one dot out of place and you
> don't connect!
>
> Thanks.

You are using a script which absolutely do not work on mulinux.
So I will ignore any other post coming from you, because it is
only pure waste of time.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen