initrd

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 11:31:54 CET

Hi,
I tested mu 10r5 with a classical initrd, it works. I did the following
things :
I changed 2 things in the mu script :
1) ROOT.gz isn't copied on the disk after BOOT, but rather copied in
tree/startup/boot/
USR_OFFSET is now BOOT_SIZE. And to build the floppy, there is a cat
BOOT.raw USR.bzip2 > /dev/fd0 as now ROOT.gz is in BOOT.raw.
2) I changed make_lilo(), so that there is in the mulinux image section,

initrd=/boot/ROOT.gz
and also I removed prompt_ramdisk, ramdisk_start from the append=, so it
becomes
append="f$FF ramdisk_size=4600 vga=ask $KERNEL_BOOT_PARAMETERS"

It works with 2.0 and 2.2 kernel.

Nevertheless, there is a drawback, as the /boot/map file is 17000 bytes
large with this method, instead of 8000. When trying to rebuild, lilo
couldn't fit the map on the disk, I had a message like "not enough room
for map file". I turned around this difficulty the following way :
1)I removed the old map from tree/startup/boot :
rm tree/startup/boot/map
2)I enlarged BOOT_FREE to 39 (instead of 31). I rebuilded and it worked
fine.

Maybe this didn't work without prior removing the old map file work
because the map file cannot be fragmented ? So it cannot take the space
of the old map file plus some extra space ?

It works, but I think my trick took some free space on boot, so it is
more portable, but it waste space. Nevertheless it was pedagogical for
me and it dissipates the aura of magic I saw surrounding mulinux initrd
;-).
If someone wants my mu script, I can send it.

Pat