Re: Qram=A0manager?=

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 14:58:01 CET

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 12:03:08PM +0100, Denis Bredelet nicely wrote:
> Well, why mulinux cannot fork with a i386? Is fork() a i486
> instruction?

No: fork() is a function in the C library, not an assembler istruction.
You will find info about fork() int Section Two of man-page:

fork - create a child process

SYNOPSIS
       #include <unistd.h>

       pid_t fork(void);

DESCRIPTION
       fork creates a child process that differs from the parent
       process only in its PID and PPID, and in the fact that
       resource utilizations are set to 0. File locks and pend-
       ing signals are not inherited.

       Under Linux, fork is implemented using copy-on-write
       pages, so the only penalty incurred by fork is the time
       and memory required to duplicate the parent's page tables,
       and to create a unique task structure for the child.

As you can see, without the fork() system call, no multi-tasking
is possible: you will have a pure DOS operating system. All processes
in a UNIX machine are child of a *single* parent. The Big Parent
generated all other child, cloning itself, following a process that
in Biology is called "mitosi" (but I'm not sure if the comparition
is evaluable, or if "meiosi" it is better)

A child-birth which doesn't involve a partner is also common
in some species of vegetals (a part from the auto-erotism we
did during adolescence, and more). I know, we have on the list
some biologist: can it illuminate us?

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen