Re: Qram=A0manager?=

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 19:47:29 CET

Michele Andreoli a écrit : The Big Parent

> generated all other child, cloning itself, following a process that
> in Biology is called "mitosi" (but I'm not sure if the comparition
> is evaluable, or if "meiosi" it is better)

Yes, the mitosis image is a good one. There is a total replication of the
genetic information. The new cell is exactly the same as the old as is a
forked child.

In the meiosis, one half is lost. The meiosis happens only for sexual
cells (gametes), and when the sexual cells having lost one half of their
genetic content meet, they merge their genetic materials and the new cell
(the egg cell) has a normal genetic information.

> A child-birth which doesn't involve a partner is also common
> in some species of vegetals

There are 2 ways for doing a child without partner, one is auto
fecondation, for species being male and female.
It is common in a lot of vegetals, and some animals can do it also. I know
a lot of animals being of both sexes (called hermaphrodism). A lot of
marine animals can do autofecondations. (in fact they release their
gametes in the see, and some times there are mechanisms so that gametes
from one individual cannot merge with gametes from the same one, but
sometimes not).
There is another way, called parthenogenesis, where there is a meiosis but
the sexual cells from the same individual merge. For example, there are
some insects, I remember only the daphnies, and also some lizards that
reproduce that way.

> (a part from the auto-erotism we
> did during adolescence, and more)

Some animals do it too...