Re: rlogin...

From: José Luis Gómez Dans (j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 13:41:00 CET

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:16:01PM +0100, Jochen Cichon wrote:

> I need a tool for login in on another machine...
> but without PASSWORD.

        rsh does that. I think it uses a file called .rhosts (see man
page for further details). Of course, people will tell you that using
this is equivalent of blasphemy and heressy... :-)

> It mustn't be ssh with sshd, it can be anything... like rsh or so...
> The MUST be X11 forwarding.
> With that I can directly start a program on another machine.
> (like xcalc or so...)

        I _think_ that rsh doesn't do the forwarding, that's an X11
add-on. With rsh, you can log into the remote box, issue a command with
a given DISPLAY variable and put it in your desktop. So if you do
something like rsh baboon "export DISPLAY=chimp:0.0;xemacs", you should
get an Xemacs in your remote desktop (assumed to be chimp here).

        Hope that helps,
        José

--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student