Re: Ancient Hardware Problem - swap deficient.

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 18:12:14 CEST

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 08:02:48PM -0700, Empty nicely wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First off, Michele, congratulations on making a truly elegant and
> functional distrubution. I have added it to my Sysadmin Big Box O' Tricks. :)

Thanx for your beatiful (and truly exact) words :-)

> The problem: I have an old 486 dx100 4m RAM laptop with 125 megs of RAM, no
> modem or NIC, and no CD drive. I have been attempting to use muLinux to
> fdisk the puppy and put in a rudimentary partition to install a stripped
> down version of SuSe.
>
> When I try to boot, I get memory problems(well, duh) and then when I drop
> down to a shell, I get "cannot fork" when attempting to make swap space. I
> can't even ls or fdisk. All I can do is pwd.
>
> Any advice?

muLinux run enterely in RAM, so it requires more RAM of standard. You
need of swap, but setup a swap using muLinux script is not possible in
4M, because scripts forks. You have to reach a prompt and to proceed
manually:

                # .... mount a DOS disk ...
                # dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=4000 of=linux.swp
                # mkswap linux.swp
                # sync
                # swappon linux.swp