Re: [mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 20:08:52 CEST

On 5 May 2000, at 13:24, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> For example: in the 9r0 release is missed the new "file" command from
> A. Costa. This is a "lacked action", i.e. deliberate
> action. With this action my unconscious revealed the truth: following
> Freud, I implicitily refused code better of mine!

I'm less in agreement with Freud and more in the Donald Norman** camp myself,
who calls this sort of thing a "capture error"... which is a fancy word for
'mistake' which implies trying to juggle too many objects at once. Sort of
like why Win9x slows down or crashes sometimes?

(**author of "The Psychology of Everyday Things", which incidentally has a nice
picture of Jacques Carelman's 'Masochist's Teapot' on the front. Norman
studied things like the Three Mile Island safety record and commercial airplane
accidents, and concluded that the control consoles of such places were poorly
designed so that it was ridiculously easy to pull the wrong switch or press the
wrong button. Another example of Norman's, perhaps the best, is modernistic
door handle designs that nobody can tell whether to push or pull -- in the US
there's millions of these doors.)

That being said, I have found a typo/bug in my last 'file' script. I forgot to
change a few '?'s to '*'s after I changed the length of a string in the main
'case...esac' loop, and so an 'ash' script will be misidentified as "script
text" rather than "ash script text". That is, this:

     \#!/bin/ash?) DescribeFile "$f" "ash script text" ;;

Should have been this:

     \#!/bin/ash*) DescribeFile "$f" "ash script text" ;;

So the older script had less bugs. Based on the Freudian model, this would
mean that your unconscious is very good at spotting bugs. I'll e-mail you a
fix very soon.