Re: [mu PROGRESS] DOSTOOLS.zip

From: Mike Johnson (mjohnson@davesworld.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 08:10:19 CEST

Michele ,

  Thank you so much for all of the work and dedication you've put in to
muLinux, and for putting up with users like myself ... This is really my
first introduction to Linux from a complex standpoint, I've installed redhat
and corel, they take all the fun out of it - graphic installs don't let you
see what is going on under the hood.. and I really didn't learn how it works
that way. I think your work has taught me more in two weeks than I've
learned in two years... and with a sense of humor, and a very patient spirit
too!

 I just about have the how-to-get mu working on really old machines (like my
486 PS/NOTE)... and the new stuff is working better.

Those attempting ressurection: Try starting from scratch, I have an 82meg
HD, so I made one Win98 partition of 60meg and just copied stuff over from
the win98 bootdisk for a windowless windows. Copy the mu and other necessary
tar.exe, etc and disk images into the c partition.

 Then when you load up from your mulinux you can go into "Maintainance mode"
and fdisk to add a swap partition (in my case 20meg) now: (you do need to
reboot after doing fdisk).. come in via mu and go into Maintainance... then
new maint shell is fabulous!

add a whole heap of swap since we don't have any RAM:
mkswap -c /dev/hda2 20000
swapon /dev/hda2

now mount your harddrive (primary parition):
mount /dev/hda1 /c

now you can cd /c and run mu to do your installations, just make sure you
have all the fd** and other commands available.

mu -i and you can build from the tgz images stored on your HD.

I'm still toying with it, but it "feels" like it is working. Next week I'll
quit doing this the hard way when my new memory comes in, and do it the way
you intended... but I think I'm enjoying Mu as an introduction!