Re: OS/2 ?

From: Austin Hair (crosus@naptech.yi.org)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 23:26:57 CEST

> On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 09:26:22AM -0400, Jeremy Anderson nicely wrote:
> > Has anyone managed to build mulinux floppies from OS/2?
> > my new contract position has me sitting at an OS/2 box all
> > day, and while I have a nice fast connection to the net,
> > DOS-based tools (for making copies of the latest mulinux,
> > of course) don't work worth a damn under this supposed OS.
> >

> Please, open the makefd.bat file: It contains only these rows:

> echo off ^M
> rem muLinux DOS makefd ^M
> ^M
> rename mul*.tgz mu.tgz^M
> tar -xf mu.tgz^M
> rawrite.exe -f syslinux.img -d A^M
> copy root.gz a:^M
> echo^M
> echo Put this floppy in the drive and reboot. ^M
> ~
>
> I think you will find easily some OS/2 substitute for "rename", "copy"
> "tar" and "rawrite" command.
>
> Michele
>
> --
> I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't
> remember any. Would two negative ones do? -- Woody Allen

I've actually made muLinux diskettes under OS/2 (natively), though I don't remember if I managed to run the included rawrite.exe natively, issued a full dual-boot (PC-DOS) to create the diskettes, or ran another native version. Hobbes (ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu, or one of it's mirrors) should have a native floppy image utility that can be used in it's place. I did this a long time ago, version 4rX,
though it had roughly the same dostools (identical?) as the more recent releases (up to 9rX). If you could let us know how you're trying to run the rawrite included with DOSTOOLS.ZIP (DOS window, OS/2 window, dual boot, etc.), and the specific version of OS/2, perhaps we can help you a bit better.

Actually, if there's enough interest, I could put together a small OS/2 installation package (a native REXX script, along with the appropriate utilities and an
OS-specific README) which could be placed on the ftp, to help with such future problems. While I'm a diehard UNIX lover, OS/2 was my first love, and I still hold a special place in my heart for it. I happen to know there are still OS/2 users out there, if perhaps scattered, and such a utility might be usefull.

--
Austin Hair
Software Engineer