Re: Word processing in Mulinux

From: Arvid Nymoen (arvidny@powertech.no)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 22:55:59 CET

At 08:58 05.03.00 +0100, M.A. wrote:
>I'm not against to add and use this kind of monsters (Netscape,
>WordPerfect, etc) in muLinux but, obviously, I can't support
>this material from Sunsite.Auc.Dk. I only can add a link from
>main page to fans supplied pages.

That I understand perfectly well. Some of those ordinary Linux
programs are really monsters. It seems that new versions of the
Big Ones (RedHat, Suse and so on) demands more memory and more
disk space than Win95 or Win98 - if the user wants one of the
more popular graphic interfaces like Gnome or KDE. (But according
to press news the new Win2000 (or coming Windows Millenium) is
the really big memory and HD eater...)

Therefore it's good that you keep on providing us with an
alternative, a minimalistic fundament that each one can
supplement if we want to. Most of your small, polished
binaries/scripts do their work just fine!

>Reading a book about Buddism and Zen, i found the word "Mu"
>has some relevant meaning for his. Surprise :_)

Yes, I was reading some Zen Buddhist litterature some years ago
- amoung them I liked a collection of fables or Zen stories called
"Zen flesh, Zen bones" especially well. Therefore I immediately
thought of Zen when I saw the word mulinux the first time.

The book mentioned above has this explaination:
"Mu is the negative symbol in Chinese, meaning "No thing" or "Nay".
(But it does not mean "No".)

>I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't
>remember any. Would two negative ones do? -- Woody Allen

Perhaps two Chinese mu can be used too? :-)

Arvid N.