Re: Re: Re: Re: 7r5beta bug report (/etc/mtab)

From: Dave Houghton (davehoughton@mulinux.free-online.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 12:27:10 CET

On 28 Dec 1999, Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:54:07AM +0000, Dave Houghton nicely wrote:
>>
>> >On the other hand, to test this kind of script is difficult, because
>> >simply the sustem hang!
>>
>> Very true, but I have spent the evening cloning to and from every possible combination of filesystem using the above hack and it works with ALL permutations.
>> Combinations or permutations ?? now there's a interesting discussion point..
>
>Works also with LOOP muLinux? yes, but info showed with "df" are not
>correct in this case. In /linuxrc you find:
>
> # echo "Try mount $DEVICE as msdos"
> # mount -t msdos -o defaults $DEVICE /mnt && echo "mount OK"
> # losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/linux/mulinux.img
>
>As you see, /linurc try to mount the DOS partition, in /mnt, searching
>for a loopback root as "mulinux.img". If you destroy /etc/mtab, the
>mount point /mnt appairs free, and this is false.
>Of course, this /mnt must be fixed, using a specific mount point,
>leaving /mnt for the user.
>
>Same problem will happen with EXT2 and El-Torrito muLinux: they
>works, but "fd" show incorrect status, because something is mounted
>earlier in /linuxrc.

yes point taken

>The best solution is to improve the test a the top of /etc/rc.4:
>do the "mount -f" only if the root entry isn't in the mtab.
>Some test required.

or use
cat /etc/mtab | rgrep -v none >/etc/mtab
instead of my previous fractured reasoning. This will strip out all /proc entries from mtab while leaving any mounted entries intact. This should satisfy all requirements including LOOP.

>> >Removing /tmp/modules works, but this make to boot more slow.
>>
>> Yes we need the cache agreed, but is there any reason why you have symlinked /lib/modules/2.0.36 to /tmp/modules/prefered rather than have the modules directly in /lib/modules/2.0.36 as is the normal case with Linux ??
>
>Oh, I do that for a crucial question: /lib is cabled in the little ROOT
>segment; the modules are taken, instead, from various addons, and
>dispached in /tmp/modules the very first time they are loaded.
>
>Take a look to /etc/modules.path:
>
>---------------------
>/tmp/modules
>/usr/local/modules
>/usr/X11R6/modules
>/gcc/modules
>/startup/modules
>---------------------
>
>muLinux Setup script search in this order a modules: first in the cache,
>last from the startup floppy: it search in any directory, first for
>unpacked material, then for packed archives.

Simple when you don't use cat /dev/zero > /dev/brain

>Michele,
>Fractured Secret Society
>
>"Fracti bello, fatisque repulsi" , Eneide, Publio Virgilio Marone
           :))))

------
Dave g0mxw
muLinux U.K. mirror
"Nurse, pass my new jacket.. the one with all the straps, I'm off to my padded room.."